Hold and Secure Emergency Event Instructions
Posted: Jan 4, 2021 12:21 AM
If there is an ongoing hazard/criminal threat in the neighbourhood or an incident that has occurred near/at a NAIT campus, you may be instructed to secure yourself within a NAIT building because it is safer to be inside as emergency services address the situation.
All movement in and out of the building(s) is restricted.
If you are asked to hold and secure:
- Shelter: Enter a NAIT building and remain indoors.
- Secure: Ensure the doors and windows are locked.
- Routine: Continue your regular work and learning activities unless directed otherwise.
- Stay indoors: Stay indoors until the ‘All Clear’ is given.
If you hear or witness any kind of activity that may be a risk to the NAIT Community, call NAIT Protective Services (NPS) at 780.471.7477.
What to do
- Download the NAIT Alert App.
- If you are outside a campus building, enter a NAIT building and remain indoors.
- If you are in a hallway, enter a classroom/workspace and ensure the doors and windows are locked.
- Once in a classroom/workspace and secure, instructors/staff may continue regular work and learning activities unless directed otherwise.
- Remain cognizant of any further direction issues via the NAIT notification/alarm system; actively monitor NAIT Alert.
What Not to do
- Do not exit the building.
- Do not approach any individuals in the event of a hold and secure event.
- Do not attempt to leave the area as all movement in and out of the building(s) is restricted.