Criminal Activity Emergency Event Instructions
Posted: Jan 4, 2021 12:09 AM
| Updated: Oct 4, 2022 9:59 AM
If you witness an individual or several individuals engaged in criminal activity, you should quickly determine the safest way to report possible crimes and leave the vicinity.
Report a crime
- Report any criminal activity on campuses, such as vandalism, suspicious backpacks or packages, online threats, harassment or other suspicious illegal activities.
- In case of emergency, call 911 (if calling from a NAIT phone, NAIT Protective Services (NPS) will automatically be notified). If not calling from a NAIT phone, and if possible, please also call NPS at 780.471.7477.
- To report online threats and suspicious packages, call NPS at 780.471.7477.
When calling to report a crime, be specific about
- the circumstance
- the location
- the perpetrator
Leave the area if the situation becomes violent or if injury to persons or property occurs or becomes imminent.
Do not touch or handle suspicious packages. Contact 911 immediately (if calling from a NAIT phone, Protective Services will automatically be notified, if not, also call Protective Services at 780.471.7477).
What not to do
- Do not touch or handle suspicious packages. Contact 911 immediately,and afterwards call NPS at 780.471.7477.
- Do not approach the individual(s) engaged in criminal activity.
- Do not attempt to apprehend or interfere with the individual(s) except in case of self-protection.
- Do not let anyone into a restricted room without proper authority.
- Should the individual(s) make their way to an exit, do not block them from exiting the facility.