Lockdown Emergency Event Instructions
Posted: Jan 4, 2021 12:23 AM
| Updated: Oct 4, 2022 9:57 AM
If there is an imminent threat to life and safety on a NAIT campus, you may be instructed to lockdown.
Assess the situation and quickly determine the safest way to protect yourself.
In case of a lockdown:
- Go to the nearest room and turn off lights
- Close, lock and barricade the door
- Silence your mobile phone
- Sit or lay on the floor or crouch behind or under desks
- Do not answer the door
- Do not activate the fire alarm unless there is a fire
- If the fire alarm sounds, assess the situation and respond accordingly
- If there is smoke or fire, evacuate. If there is no smoke or fire, stay in lockdown.
- Stay quiet and hidden until emergency services gives the "all clear"
What not to do
- Do not make interactions with the individual(s) and get to a safe location as quickly as possible.
- If there is a knock on the door or window, do not answer and ensure that you stay quiet (turn off all ringtones for electronic devices).
- Stay quiet and hidden. Do not exit your room until you have been given the “all clear”.
Our emergency warden program trains all NAIT staff how to evacuate which is an essential part of NAIT’s emergency response. Follow any NAIT staff member’s directions, as they are knowledgeable and are trained to guide the NAIT community to safety.
If you hear or witness any kind of activity that may be a risk to the NAIT community, call NAIT Protective Services at 780.471.7477.