Hazardous Material Release Emergency Event Instructions
Posted: Jan 4, 2021 12:18 AM
| Updated: Oct 4, 2022 9:58 AM
If there is a hazardous material release – whether chemical, biological, radiological or nuclear – in a NAIT building:
- Call 911 if there is an immediate threat to life or safety and afterwards call NAIT Protective Services (NPS) at 780.471.7477
- Immediately vacate the area through the nearest safe exit, as directed by NAIT staff or signage
- If possible, take personal items that are in direct reach of you prior to evacuating (e.g. keys, phone, purse, jacket)
- Close doors, but do not lock them
- Gather at the emergency meeting/muster point (use the NAIT interactive map to locate your building’s meeting point) and check-in
- Follow specific instructions from NAIT Protective Services and first responders (HMIRT Roster). Refer to HS.PTL.1 Hazardous Materials Response Protocol for more information.
- Refer to the Chemical Designate Contact List for staff responsible for each area.
- Refer to the Spill Kit Inventory for the nearest spill kit.
- If you are off campus or away from the affected area, do not attempt to go to the affected area until emergency services gives the ‘All Clear’.
What not to do
- Do not attempt to clean up the spill yourself
- If you are off-campus or away from the affected area, do not enter the affected area until emergency services gives the "all clear"