Fire Emergency Event Instructions
Posted: Jan 4, 2021 12:14 AM
| Updated: Oct 4, 2022 9:58 AM
What to do in a fire
If you see a fire or hear a fire alarm
- Sound the fire alarm by pulling the nearest manual fire alarm pull station (if an alarm has not already been activated)
- Close doors, but do not lock them. Ensure that you check all doors for heat.
- If possible, take personal items that are in direct reach of you prior to evacuating (e.g. keys, phone, purse, jacket)
- Evacuate the building through the nearest safe exit, as directed by NAIT employees or signage
- NAIT employees should use the Emergency Warden or any relevant training to direct members of the NAIT Community to a safe exit and notify the Chief Emergency Wardens (NAIT Protective Services) if there are any issues evacuating your area
- Students and visitors should notify a Chief Emergency Warden if they need assistance. Chief Emergency Wardens can be identified by a brightly-coloured vest.
- Call 911 and follow the directions provided, and afterwards call NAIT Protective Services (NPS) at 780.471.7477
- Watch for smoke or fire. If you encounter either, use an alternative exit or find an area of refuge.
- Gather at the emergency meeting/muster point (use the NAIT interactive map to locate your building’s meeting point)
- Do not return until emergency services gives the "All Clear"
What not to do
- Do not take the elevator in the event of an evacuation.
- Do not reroute your evacuation path. Do not change your route to the exit to grab personal items.
- Do not go to the parkade to retrieve your car.
- Do not attempt to extinguish a fire if you are not trained or in doubt of the size of the fire or your ability to extinguish it.
- Unless you need help, do not call NAIT Protective Services for any kind of evacuation “confirmation”.
- Do not wait at the entrances of buildings – move to the emergency meeting/muster point.
- Do not re-enter the building until the “All Clear” direction is provided.
Our emergency warden program trains all NAIT staff how to evacuate which is an essential part of NAIT’s emergency response. Follow any NAIT staff member’s directions, as they are knowledgeable and are trained to guide the NAIT community to safety.