Active Aggressor Emergency Event Instructions
Posted: Dec 8, 2020 6:15 PM
If there is an active aggressor or shooter
If you hear shots fired, witness an armed person/people shooting or threatening people, or if NAIT issues an emergency notification about an active shooter or aggressor on campus, you should quickly determine the safest way to protect yourself.
- Get Out
Scan and assess the situation. Determine the safest and quickest way to exit the building. If safe, exit the building quickly and keep your hands visible to first responders and emergency services.
If you cannot run, find an area to hide safely, such as a classroom or storage room. Turn off any lights, barricade your hiding place and stay quiet (silence your mobile phone).
If running or hiding is not an option, and you are in imminent danger, the last resort is to fight and attempt to defeat the attacker.
- Report and/or check-in
Once you are safe, call NAIT Protective Services (NPS) at 780.471.7477.
Our emergency warden program trains all NAIT staff how to evacuate, which is an essential part of NAIT’s emergency response. Follow any NAIT staff member’s directions, as they are knowledgeable and are trained to guide the NAIT community to safety.
If you hear or witness any kind of activity that may be a risk to the NAIT Community, call NPS at 780.471.7477.
What to do
What not to do
- Do not open a door once it has been secured until you are officially advised “all clear” or are confident it is emergency response personnel at the door.
- Do not travel down long corridors.
- Do not assemble in large open areas (e.g., cafeterias or assembly points).
- When running, find an alternate route to exit the building and do not approach the area or the threat.
- When hiding, do not make any significant noises that may cause attention to you or others.
Shooter on campus: Know you can survive
Although the likelihood of an event of this magnitude is remote, watch the video, Shooter on Campus, Know You Can Survive (8:47), for useful strategies to protect yourself if the unthinkable were to happen. Please be advised that some people may find this video disturbing.