If You are Sick
Posted: Jan 4, 2021 5:19 AM
| Updated: Aug 18, 2021 2:14 PM
As COVID-19 continues to circulate in our community, we remind the NAIT community to follow provincial direction to stay home if you get sick, self-isolate and get tested if advised. Review the instructions on this page to understand what to do if you get sick. Learn how NAIT responds to active cases of COVID-19 on our campuses.
Coming to campus sick or with symptoms puts others at risk.
On this page:
What to do if you are sick
Stay home if you are not feeling well. If you get sick while on campus, go home.
- You are legally required to isolate for a minimum of 10 days if you test positive for COVID-19 or have any core symptoms that are not related to a pre-existing illness or health condition.
- If you are unsure of your requirement to isolate, contact 811 for information and clarification. Alternately, you can contact NAIT Health Services at 780.471.8733 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Let your supervisor or instructor know you will be absent
You are not required to disclose your personal health information. You are not required to obtain a doctor’s note.
- Contract instructors, inform your supervisor
- WIL students and staff, inform your WIL supervisor or program coordinator
- Clients, visitors and tenants, inform your NAIT contact
- Guests of a tenant, inform your tenant contact
Please know you will be supported through your absence and, for students, in making up missed labs and assignments.
Complete a COVID-19 incident report through myCority if you test positive for COVID-19
- Submitting a report through myCority will send it directly to Health Services
- This is required by anyone who has been on campus within the previous 14 days. Students currently in WIL placements are also expected to complete this step.
- A NAIT Health Services nurse will follow up with you.
- Keep NAIT Health Services updated with any instructions from Alberta Health Services.
Returning to campus after you've been sick
Information for supervisors and instructors
If you are a supervisor or instructor who has been notified a staff member or student is sick:
- instruct the student or staff member to stay home or go home; being on campus sick puts others at risk
- advise the person to take the Alberta Health Services’ COVID-19 Self-Assessment and follow instructions from Alberta Health Services, if they haven’t already
- advise the person to complete a COVID-19 incident report through myCority if that person has tested positive for COVID-19 and has been on campus within the previous 14 days.
- Please complete the report on their behalf if they are unable to do so – at a minimum, provide the person’s name, the date they became sick and a contact phone number so that NAIT Health Services can follow up.
- work with the student or staff member to manage that person’s absence from NAIT; remind full- and part-time staff that they can access their general illness leave for self-isolation.
- learn more about NAIT’s Rapid Response Planning Framework and your responsibilities under the plan