If you need to evacuate a NAIT building
- Quickly leave through the nearest safe exit, as directed by emergency wardens
- Advise an emergency warden if you need assistance evacuating
- Do not use elevators
- If possible, take your belongings (take only items that are immediately accessible and limit this to your winter coat, keys, wallet, purse and mobile device)
- Close, but do not lock the doors after everyone has left
- Check doors for heat. If they feel hot to the touch – do not open. Use an alternative exit or find an area of refuge
- Watch for smoke or fire. If you encounter either, use an alternative exit or find an area of refuge
- Gather at emergency meeting point
- Do not return until emergency services gives the ‘All Clear’
Our emergency wardens are an essential part of NAIT’s emergency response. Follow their directions, as they are knowledgeable and are trained to guide the NAIT community to safety.
Tips to follow if you hear an emergency alarm.