Response to COVID-19 Cases
Posted: Aug 17, 2020 2:57 PM
| Updated: Nov 6, 2020 11:17 AM
The health and safety of the NAIT community are our top priorities.
As COVID-19 transmission continues in our province, NAIT is prepared to respond tocases of COVID-19 on our campuses.
Our response is outlined in our Rapid Response Planning Framework, now a part of our Communicable Disease Procedure, which describes how we will report and manage cases of COVID-19 at NAIT in accordance with provincial guidelines.
In our planning, we have developed levels of response and guidelines outlining control measures for a range of possible scenarios. In responding to cases, we will consider the following factors to inform our approach:
- physical characteristics of the space(s) involved
- protective measures in place
- evolving knowledge of the COVID-19 pathogen
NAIT’s response to a potential or confirmed case of COVID-19 is managed by NAIT Health Services, Health and Safety Services and the COVID-19 Coordinated Response Team.
If someone who was on one of our campuses tests positive for COVID-19, NAIT will
- conduct a safety investigation
- support Alberta Health Services (AHS) information requests
- follow AHS guidance for contract tracing
- follow protocols for enhanced cleaning
- inform the NAIT community
What to do if you are sick
Responding to multiple or linked cases on campus
If there are 2 or more linked cases of COVID-19, NAIT will take the measures listed above and may temporarily close impacted spaces to allow the custodial team time for any additional cleaning required. Any shops, labs or activities impacted by a closure may be rescheduled or temporarily postponed.
A significant number of cases could have a greater impact on our people and facilities, including temporary closures of buildings or entire campuses.
Instructors and supervisors
Instructors and supervisors have several responsibilities under this framework, including to:
- protect the privacy and personal health information of student or staff member who informs you they are unwell or have tested positive for COVID-19
- participate in any safety investigations initiated by Health and Safety Services
- implement any corrective actions from the safety investigation
- maintain regular contact with the impacted individual
- support the student or staff member as they return to school or work, including helping students make up missed labs and assignments
Review NAIT’s COVID-19 Rapid Response Planning Framework to learn more about your responsibilities. You can also read the Relaunch FAQs for Staff (staff login required), which includes questions about the framework and NAIT's response.
Reporting on cases of COVID-19 on campus
We are committed to providing our community with timely and accurate information about active COVID-19 cases on our campuses.
Anyone who may have been in close contact with an individual who tests positive for COVID-19 will be contacted directly and will be advised to conduct the Alberta Health Services self-assessment and book a COVID-19 test. Close contacts are required to quarantine for 14 days.
All active cases at NAIT are recorded in our active cases dashboard.
Active COVID-19 Cases Dashboard
We will communicate more broadly with the community if there are multiple linked cases at NAIT.
Please note that personal information will not be disclosed as NAIT responds to or communicates about confirmed cases of COVID-19 on our campuses.
Instructors or supervisors may share details of a situation with their leadership team for the purpose of contingency planning. Personal information will not be shared.