Your safety on campus
Posted: Jun 30, 2020 9:47 AM
| Updated: Aug 10, 2020 10:19 AM
Daily Check-in Form
The health and safety of our community is NAIT’s top priority as we gradually resume activities on our campuses, following provincial direction. We have adopted health and safety measures and introduced requirements for people coming to campus to reduce the risk of transmission of COVID-19.
Each of us has a shared responsibility to maintain a safe work and learning environment. By working together and doing our part, we can minimize the potential for exposure to COVID-19.
Watch the following video and review the information on this page to learn more about how we're making our campuses safe and your safety responsibilities.
While on campus
Safety is a shared responsibility, and we expect that you do the following as you return to campus.
- Wear a mask or face covering
- You are expected to wear a mask in all indoor, publicly accessible spaces on campus.
- Review and follow NAIT's expectations for wearing masks at nait.ca/masks.
- Students, contractors and visitors are expected to provide their own mask or face covering (disposable or cloth) while on campus as required.
- NAIT is providing non-medical masks to staff who are required to work on campus.
- Links to videos on the use of masks are found in the Interim COVID-19 Awareness Training and training resource package.
- Follow signage when moving around campus and within instructional areas - only come to your scheduled activity and leave immediately afterwards, unless you require access to the Computer Commons.
- Understand and follow specific safety controls and protocols from your program or business unit.
- Remain vigilant to slow the spread of COVID-19 by following public health measures, practicing physical distancing and good hygiene.
Health and safety measures during relaunch
Limiting campus activity
Activity on our campuses will continue to be limited following Government of Alberta direction. Keeping the number of people on our campuses limited to only those who absolutely need to be on site will help minimize the number of individuals those attending our campuses might encounter in a day, which reduces risk.
And it will allow us to focus our efforts to keep our campuses safe and clean by only reopening spaces that are required by schools and business units to meet the objectives in Turning the Dial, which outlines our approach to NAIT’s phased reopening.
Courses will be primarily delivered virtually, with some on-campus learning where it is not possible to meet student learning outcomes through virtual delivery. Staff will continue to work from home unless they need to be on campus to teach a lab or shop, conduct applied research or deliver a service where virtual delivery is not possible.
Enhanced cleaning and disinfection protocols
Following Public Health Agency of Canada guidelines, we have increased cleaning we have made the following efforts to keep our campuses clean and safe for the NAIT community.
- Limiting activity on our campuses allows us to focus on cleaning spaces that are required by schools and business units to meet their relaunch objectives.
- We are following an enhanced schedule for cleaning of high-traffic areas and high-touch surfaces, including
- elevator buttons
- door handles and push bars
- stairwell railings
- vending machines
- water fountains
- Use of Avmor EP 66 or EP 50 disinfectant has been implemented for increased sanitation and improved longevity of disinfectant properties.
- Please contact Facilities Maintenance if you notice any locations that require additional cleaning.
We are taking measures to safely reopen buildings, including a deep clean prior to reopening, conducting water quality testing and setting up guides and barriers to help you navigate safely while on campus.
We have posted signage to facilitate physical distancing and educate the NAIT community on how to prevent the spread of COVID-19.
Training for staff and students
All NAIT staff are required to complete the COVID-19 Awareness Training for Staff (staff login required). Resources from the training are available for reference. Training will be provided to students in the near-future.
Regular, timely communication
We are committed to keeping the NAIT community informed and up-to-date on nait.ca/relaunch and other platforms.
Sanitizer and disinfecting wipes
Sanitizer and disinfecting wipes are available across campus.
Thank you for doing your part to reduce the risk of COVID-19 and help maintain a healthy and safe environment. Continue to check nait.ca/relaunch for the latest information and updates.