Today, the Premier of Alberta announced new, targeted measures for the City of Edmonton and surrounding areas. These measures are in response to the concerning number of cases of COVID-19 and the pressure being placed on Alberta’s health system.
The new mandatory measures for the Edmonton area are:
- Ban on indoor group fitness classes and team sports until Nov. 27 – this does not include outdoor sports, individual sports, exercise, training or equipment use, and excludes junior, collegiate, university or professional sports. This measure does not impact NAIT’s varsity teams.
- Ban on group performance activities until Nov. 27: singing, dancing and theatre.
- Restaurants, bars, lounges and pubs must stop liquor sales by 10 p.m. and close by 11 p.m. until Nov. 27.
- 15-person limit on social and family gatherings – indoor and outdoor – where people are mixing and mingling.
- 50-person limit on indoor and outdoor wedding ceremonies and funeral services.
Additional voluntary measures remain in place. You can find details about these measures and where they apply on the Government of Alberta website.
These measures have been put in place to help slow the spread of COVID-19, to protect the most vulnerable members of our community, and to ensure the health system can continue to meet the health needs of all Albertans. At today’s press conference, Alberta Premier Jason Kenney emphasized that rising community spread is putting our health care system under real stress.
Impact of these measures on NAIT
The new mandatory measures do not impact NAIT. Our safety protocols align with relevant voluntary measures. We are doing everything we can to limit in-person activity on our campuses, including having staff work from home wherever possible. If further adjustments are required at any time, we will let you know.
Please do your part to slow the spread
Staff and students at NAIT have a role to play, on campus, at home and in the community in helping limit the spread of COVID-19. We ask all members of the NAIT community to do your part and follow the health and safety measures.
If you are sick or showing any core symptoms of COVID-19 that are not related to a pre-existing illness or health condition, or you are a close contact of a confirmed case, you must follow the provincial isolation and quarantine requirements. NAIT will support you through your absence. Please do not come to campus.
What we need you to do
- Check in each day and at each location where you spend more than 15 minutes. This will allow us to contact people on our campuses who are considered close contacts of positive cases of COVID-19. Download the NAIT Alert app for easy access to the check-in form or scan the check-in QR code that can be found on posters in common areas on our campuses.
- Take the AHS COVID-19 Self-Assessment each day before you come to campus or if you become ill and follow instructions from Alberta Health Services.
- Self-isolate and get tested for COVID-19 if advised.
- Complete a NAIT Health and Safety Incident Report if you have symptoms of COVID-19.
- Stay home until your symptoms resolve, even if you have tested negative for COVID-19.
- Supports are arranged for learning and working while individuals are required to isolate at home.
You can find the latest information on NAIT’s response to COVID-19 at nait.ca/relaunch. If you have any questions, email email@example.com.
We know these are uncertain times and appreciate the impact the pandemic continues to have on our lives. Please know you are not alone, and we encourage you to reach out for any support you need.
Thank you for doing your part to keep our community safe and our doors open.
Director, Relaunch Coordination Team