Today, Premier Jason Kenney announced that the mandatory public health restrictions put in place in December are being extended for an additional 2 weeks, until at least Jan. 21. This is in response to ongoing high rates of COVID-19 transmission in the province.
Impact to NAIT
There continues to be no impact to student learning outcomes. Classes, shops, labs, applied research and other Industry Solutions activities will continue as currently scheduled.
To clarify, the ongoing impact to NAIT is as follows:
- No indoor or outdoor social gatherings. Students, staff and visitors must leave campus after classes, work or when completing business. Study groups are not permitted on campus.
- shop AT NAIT is limited to 15% capacity.
- Ernest’s is closed to in-person dining. Curbside pick-up continues to be offered.
- Eating on campus. eat AT NAIT continues to operate, however, social gathering restrictions still apply. Tables in our eating areas are limited to 1 person per table. No movement between tables is allowed.
- Our library is closed. All in-person services will be provided at the 3rd floor library door and all virtual services remain available. The Computer Commons in W203 on Main Campus remains open for students who require access to technology to complete projects and exams.
- Indoor recreation facilities are closed. NAIT’s recreation facilities will remain closed.
- Mandatory working from home will continue for the majority of staff, unless they are required to be on campus. All staff coming to campus, for any reason, must continue to have permission from their supervisor.
We continue to prioritize the health and safety of our community by implementing strong measures and practices, including requiring masks or face coverings on campus.
Please do your part to slow the spread
Staff and students at NAIT have a role to play, on campus, at home and in the community in helping limit the spread of COVID-19. We ask all members of the NAIT community to do your part and follow the health and safety measures.
If you are sick or showing any core symptoms of COVID-19 that are not related to a pre-existing illness or health condition, or you are a close contact of a confirmed case of COVID-19, you must follow the provincial isolation and quarantine requirements. NAIT will support you through your absence. Please do not put others at risk by coming to campus.
What we need you to do
- Check in each day and at each location where you spend more than 15 minutes. This will allow us to contact people on our campuses who are considered close contacts of positive cases of COVID-19.
- Download the NAIT Alert app for easy access to the check-in form or scan the check-in QR code that can be found on posters in common areas on our campuses.
- Take the AHS COVID-19 Self-Assessment each day before you come to campus or if you become ill and follow instructions from Alberta Health Services.
- Self-isolate and get tested for COVID-19 if advised.
- Complete a COVID-19 incident report if you have symptoms of COVID-19 and submit it to email@example.com.
- Stay home until your symptoms resolve, even if you have tested negative for COVID-19. Supports are arranged for learning and working while individuals are required to isolate at home.
You can find the latest information on NAIT’s response to COVID-19 at nait.ca/covid19.
These continue to be uncertain times. Please know you are not alone, and we encourage you to reach out for any support you need.
Thank you for doing your part to keep our community safe and our doors open.
Director, Relaunch Coordination Team