On Jan. 11, NAIT was informed that a member of our community who was on Main Campus tested positive for COVID-19. The individual was last on campus on Jan. 8. Members of the NAIT community who have been identified as close contacts of the individual, meaning they were within 2 metres of the individual for more than 15 minutes, have been contacted and directed to quarantine for 14 days.
This has created staffing challenges for Retail and Ancillary Services. As a result, the following food services locations will be temporarily closed:
- Main Campus: Bytes
- Souch Campus: Elements
We expect both outlets to reopen on Jan. 25. On Main Campus, please visit One World, Fresh Express, and Starbucks (Common Market) for your food service needs. Shop at NAIT will temporarily reopen at Souch Campus for student supply needs. Visit the shop at NAIT website for hours of operation, or to order online.
We wish all members of the NAIT community who have tested positive for COVID-19 a speedy recovery.
To protect the individual’s privacy, we will not be releasing any information that could lead to their identification. We apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience and understanding.
The risk of transmission of COVID-19 on our campuses remains low
According to the Public Health Agency of Canada, there are currently no confirmed cases of COVID-19 being spread through food or food packaging.
At NAIT, we have put in place enhanced measures to reduce the risk of transmission, including the use of face masks and face shields, as well as additional cleaning and sanitation, and have a rapid response plan to guide our response to cases of COVID-19 at NAIT. Because of these measures, which prioritize the health and safety of our community, all scheduled activities at NAIT can continue as planned.
We have had 87 positive cases of COVID-19 on our campuses. Alberta Health Services has not determined a link between any of these cases. Cases are no longer considered active after the mandatory self-isolation period has ended or when an individual receives a negative test.
Keeping our community safe is a shared responsibility
Staff and students at NAIT have a role to play, on campus, at home and in the community in helping limit the spread of COVID-19. We ask all members of the NAIT community to do your part and follow the health and safety measures. Please only come to campus for your scheduled activity and leave immediately after.
If you are sick or showing any core symptoms of COVID-19 that are not related to a pre-existing illness or health condition, or you are a close contact of a confirmed case of COVID-19, you must follow the provincial isolation and quarantine requirements. NAIT will support you through your absence. Please do not put others at risk by coming to campus.
What we need you to do
- Check in each day and at each location where you spend more than 15 minutes. This will allow us to contact people on our campuses who are considered close contacts of positive cases of COVID-19.
- Download the NAIT Alert app for easy access to the check-in form or scan the check-in QR code that can be found on posters in common areas on our campuses.
- Take the AHS COVID-19 Self-Assessment each day before you come to campus or if you become ill and follow instructions from Alberta Health Services.
- Self-isolate and get tested for COVID-19 if advised.
- Complete a COVID-19 incident report if you have symptoms of COVID-19 and submit it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Stay home until your symptoms resolve, even if you have tested negative for COVID-19. Supports are arranged for learning and working while individuals are required to isolate at home.
Thank you for doing your part to keep our community safe.
For NAIT’s response to COVID-19, visit nait.ca/covid19. If you have any other questions, please don’t hesitate to reach out to your instructor or supervisor or Health Services at email@example.com or 780.471.8733.
Director, Relaunch Coordination Team