On Feb. 8, NAIT Health Services confirmed that 2 individuals from the same program on Main Campus have tested positive for COVID-19 over the last few days. Based on case reporting and contact tracing, Alberta Health Services has confirmed that these 2 cases are linked.
The risk to the campus community remains low.
Both confirmed cases are in isolation and are following the direction of Alberta Health Services. In addition, 12 individuals from the NAIT community were identified as close contacts, meaning they were within 2 metres of the individuals for more than 15 minutes. They have been required to quarantine since Feb. 5, when the first case was confirmed. To protect the individuals’ privacy, we will not be releasing any further information that could lead to their identification.
The individuals who later tested positive were last on campus on Feb. 4 in U127, U1X6 and U129. One of the individuals was briefly on campus Feb. 5 in U127.
All members of our community who may be impacted by these active cases have been contacted directly. Supports for learning and working have been arranged while individuals are required to isolate or quarantine at home.
We wish these individuals, as well as other members of our community who have tested positive, a speedy recovery.
Keeping our community safe
Although 2 linked cases have been identified, we want to reassure you that the risk to the campus community remains low.
We have put in place enhanced measures to reduce the risk of transmission of COVID-19 on our campuses, including the use of face masks and face shields, as well as additional cleaning and sanitation, and have a rapid response plan to guide our response to cases of COVID-19 at NAIT.
Do your part to slow the spread
If you are sick or showing any core symptoms of COVID-19 that are not related to a pre-existing illness or health condition, or you are a close contact of a confirmed case of COVID-19, you must follow the provincial isolation and quarantine requirements. NAIT will support you through your absence.
Please do not put others at risk by coming to campus if you are sick or identified as a close contact of a positive case.
What we need you to do
- Check-in each day and at each location where you spend more than 15 minutes. This will allow us to contact people on our campuses who are considered close contacts of positive cases of COVID-19.
- Download the NAIT Alert app for easy access to the check-in form or scan the check-in QR code that can be found on posters in common areas on our campuses.
- Take the AHS COVID-19 Self-Assessment each day before you come to campus or if you become ill and follow instructions from Alberta Health Services.
- Self-isolate and get tested for COVID-19 if advised.
- Complete a COVID-19 incident report if you have symptoms of COVID-19 and submit it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Stay home until your symptoms resolve, even if you have tested negative for COVID-19. Supports are arranged for learning and working while individuals are required to isolate at home.
We will continue to provide additional information as required.
For questions about COVID-19, call 811 or visit alberta.ca/covid-19. For NAIT’s response to COVID-19, visit nait.ca/covid19.
If you have any other questions, please don’t hesitate to reach out to Health Services at HealthServices@nait.ca or 780.471.8733.